8/25/2008

Help Fight Multiple Sclerosis By Giving Me Money to Ride a Bicycle

October is right around the corner, so I have started making my Halloween costume and collecting donations for the MS Ride '08. The ride is on October 5th. Last year I was very lame with my collections so I am stepping it up a notch.

It is also a little more poignant this year because Sheldon Brown passed in February. Sheldon Brown was an online bicycle guru that wrote essays and 'how to' articles on everything from touring Europe on two wheels, to explaining what a 'spline' was. His writing was extremely helpful, very funny and made you feel like you were getting advice from a well informed friend. He was diagnosed with MS in the waning years of his life and wrote this little essay about it that captures the tone of his personality.

I will be doing the 100 mile ride up through Congers, NY which is actually a real pain after you get out of Manhattan. The hills in the Palisades don't let you forget. After last year, I laid down at home, closed my eyes and felt like I was still on my bike pedaling uphill. So it was more like 115 miles.

If you feel like donating you can go to this site and do it all online!

https://www.kintera.org/faf/donorReg/donorPledge.asp?ievent=251540&supid=102798221

No comments: